Bus drivers are considered professionals on the road. For this reason the law holds them to a higher standard and requires them to be more careful than the average citizen. This is because of the dangerousness of operating a large vehicle capable of causing catastrophic injury.
Buses have blind spots that require the driver to act diligently in order to know the location of the vehicles around them. It is not an excuse for a bus driver to say that they did not see you or that you came out of nowhere. It is their job to know where you are at all times.
If you were the victim of a bus accident, here are some things to keep in mind:
1. Obtain the driver’s identity and the identity of his employer;
2. Contact the driver’s employer to report the accident and ask for a copy of the report;
3. Take photographs of the driver, the vehicles and your injuries;
4. Ask for the names and contact information of any potential witnesses;
5. Go back to the location of the accident and take additional photographs of the surroundings; and
6. Do not agree to a recorded statement with an insurance company until you have consulted with your attorney.
Severe injuries often result from bus accidents because the size of the vehicles cause a greater force of impact. You should pursue emergency medical attention following your accident. Not only will medical attention benefit you physically, but it will also create a record of your injuries.
Bus drivers are on the job while they are on the road and their employers are responsible for their actions. Identifying the employer of the driver is important to determine all of the potentially culpable parties.
The attorneys at Moaddel and Kremer will conduct a thorough investigation into your accident. Buses are often equipped with dash cams and data boxes that track the speed and location of the vehicle. This information is often used by the attorneys at Moaddel and Kremer to prove the driver was at fault.
As the victim of a bus accident, you can recover for your medical bills, lost wages and emotional distress if the accident was not your fault. Moaddel Kremer will fight for you against the corporations and insurance companies to obtain as much compensation as you deserve.